At the end of the day it doesn’t matter how good a salesperson your agent is – if your house doesn’t look great then you’re going to find it harder to sell in today’s competitive marketplace.
Presentation is the key to attracting potential buyers, creating a positive first impression and ultimately in achieving a sale at a price that you’re happy with.
We’ve created a Sell Your Property Checklist to help you make the most of your home’s all important presentation.
GET IN TOUCH NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION
Sell Your Property Checklist
Known as “kerb appeal” in the industry, first impressions are normally made before you even show a potential buyer through your front door. To help create a positive response pay particular attention to the property’s exterior.
- Make sure all paintwork is in first class condition.
- If you have a pool or pond make sure you remove any dead leaves or litter
- Tidy all garden patio areas and use a pressure washer to smarten up paths and terraces
- Replace any rusted or faded door furniture and remember to keep the new furnishings clean and shiny
- If you have a lawn or plants make sure they’re all trimmed and watered.
- Remove any bins or rubbish from the front of the property
Through the Front Door
Once a potential buyer has entered your property they’re going to take about 20 seconds to decide whether they like the place or not. This is your window of opportunity to impress.
- Get the place clean – floors, upholstery, kitchens, bathrooms and appliances need a thorough going over to create a sparkling atmosphere
- Wash your curtains or if they are looking tired invest in some new ones
- Clean your windows to get the best lighting. Also strategically place mirrors to reflect the light and to create an impression of space
- Remove personal photos and effects. Potential buyers want to imagine the place as theirs
- Try to ensure your furnishings, ornaments and pictures are as neutral as possible
- Get rid of unwanted clutter – remember that buyers will look in all the nooks and crannies so if possible get unnecessary furnishings off the property completely so that there can be no negative impressions the there is a lack of storage space
- Make sure beds are made, towels folded and all clothes are stored away
- Invest in fresh flowers to give your home a well-loved atmosphere
- Update taps and handles in kitchen and bathroom suites
- You’ll find it easier to sell your property if you let a potential buyer know of any problems or issues related to the property. By reflecting any deficiencies in the asking price the buyer will be less likely to try to lower the price or pull out of the deal altogether
- Ask your agent’s opinion – you might love the orange tiles in the living room but an experienced property professional will guide you to the best way in which to present your property
- Make sure that the listing descriptions and photographs accurately describe your property and that all the property features – double garage, central heating etc – are all clearly listed
Remember you’re trying to sell your property quickly and for the best price so it’s worth making an investment in its appearance and a few sacrifices in the meantime to get it sold.
Don’t worry, although there seems a lot to do we can advise you on all aspects of selling your home in Worcestershire.
Get in touch today for free expert advice.